Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Without Borders

The day before yesterday I flew in to Loreto. From the air I could see it was blowing strongly from the North. Not nice for the paddlers out there. Maddie, SKBM's operational manager, kindly picked me up from the airport.

As soon I was at SKBM operational HQ, I set myself to help with the trip clean-up for a trip that Ginni led. It is nice to meet Ginni again. I could well have missed her as the SKBM calender in the office is full of overlapping activities. It is impressive to see how Ginni's business has grown and how the attention to quality, detail and personal attention have not changed; simply the best. Another group with Marcos returned yesterday. It is a group with Greg Paquin that made it around Carmen in a week with all strong northwesterlies.

Our 12-day trip starts Tuesday and I arrived early to acclimatize and help with the preparations; if needed. The preparations of the new trip start with the end of the previous.

Our aim is to paddle from Mulege to Coronados, get a resupply from Loreto and then cross to Carmen running down the east coast of Carmen and out near Puerto Escondido. Looking at my pictures taken from the plane, this plan is surely weather dependant. This route contains some very exposed headlands and a committing crossing. I am thrilled that Ramon is a guide on this trip. Ramon helped with preparations on my previous trips and it is nice to have him now also on the trip.

So now ready with clean-up of all the boats and 'our' boats have been assigned and helping Ramon with further preparations.


No comments: