Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Another Time, Another Place

I arrived in Ucluelet. I am visiting Justine and JF at SKILS.

I was surprised how logistically easy it was to reach this kinda remote town on the west coast of Vancouver Island; affectionally called Ukee by the locals; probably to prevent variations on the pronunciation of Ucluelet.

My first time traveling to Canada by air. Flying via Toronto and Vancouver it was just a straightforward bus/ferry ride to get there. The young female bus driver (from Nanaimo to Tofino) handling the long bus as if it was a mini car; reversing and tight-turns and all; with explanations in English and French. First time also any airline put me on the exit row seats; lots of legroom on an economy ticket where I could not even select seats in advance. Totally surprised.

Not much after arrival Justine already took me on a short hike around Amphritrite Point. It was kinda foggy, but between the sheets of fog some spectacular scenery showed through. A wonderful paddling area with lots of rock-hopping to do; gullies (and wave action) everywhere.

Now trying to get the jet-lag (my foggy mind) out of the way to be fit to do some paddling later this week. And kayak fishing!

No comments: