Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Expeditions

Early yesterday morning I spent a lot of time thinking about my next big expedition. After attending a BCU UKCC L3 core training at Plas-y-Brenin I stayed in Holyhead for the week. I learned about pending new expeditions and record attempts around Anglesey. Justine Curgenven (in a Valley Rapier) just put the pressure on everyone by closing in on John Willacy's record (in a Taran) by just 14 minutes... Sea Kayaking UK is also starting to stir things with their new Cadence racing sea kayak (breaking the Isle of Man record).

After a lot of painful contemplations, I decided my next big expedition was to get from my bed to the bathroom.

I hurt my lower back earlier last week. Despite OK on Wednesday to paddle the Swellies, I got struck down worse on Friday. I found myself immobilized on Saturday morning. Eila was kind enough to sponsor me with food and inflammatory drugs. Dale kindly advised me on a cold-pack and hot-bath recovery scheme. Unfortunately Geoff Murray from Tasmania got the short end of it. I had promised to go paddling with him on Sunday, but my back, although recovering, is not in any state to sit in a kayak.

On this truly gorgeous Sunday with perfect tides for a 'stacks run', my next expedition was to walk from the house I am staying in to South Stack and back, a 1 mile journey. Expeditions do not have to be far away, long or fast, they are about adventure and personal accomplishment. My expeditions of yesterday and today fell into that category.
Having said that, take a look at Sarah Outen's amazing journey that takes her to an unexpected place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wat een ellende!