Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Skerries Twice

I arrived a week early for the Anglesey Sea Kayak Symposium. While Nico and Karien run this year's Anglesey week for the Dutch Canoe Union, I am 'jobless'. I had some plans for personal paddling, however weather and tide are not always perfect at the same time.

Today I paddled from Porth Dafarch to the Skerries. Taking the 'conveyer belt tide' off Penrhyn Mawr brought me to the Skerries within two hours. I arrived before 'Skerries sunrise'. With no sunshine and the prospect of a three-and-a-half hour wait, I decided to paddle onwards to Cemlyn.

During that navigation I changed my mind. I should have planned better before leaving the Skerries with my fluke change of plan. The quickest way back would be from the Skerries again. I aimed for the mainland, missing West Mouse wide, and paddled the eddy towards Carmel Head. With 1.5 hours of the flood still to go I ferry glided on a 270 degrees course back to the Skerries where it was blazing with sunshine. The sun always shines on the Skerries (if you arrive after local sunrise that is) !
Back to Porth Dafarch took a bit longer with the ebb just barely starting. This was a very nice paddling day.

No comments: