Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Romany PM

This week I am in Anglesey for the annual Sea Kayaking UK dealers meeting. In the morning we learn about new developments for the sea kayaks and most importantly, Lendal paddles. Great to learn that these excellent paddles and the versatile PaddLok system are back in strength and improved! In the afternoon we go paddling.
Wednesday and Thursday we went paddling in Penrhyn Mawr. Phil kindly lent me his Romany. The wind changed 180 degrees, so on Thursday there was wind against tide with a full swell running. There were some moments of 'vertigo' as I was surfing off the crest of tidal waves into the 'abyss'. No loopings because the race was not that 'fast' running. The easiest way to start a run was to wait until a wave broke over my back so that it 'catapulted' me into surfing.
For the so many times I paddled in PM it again was a different experience; PM provides unlimited variations.