Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Running the Lligwy

200911051322150700_AS.JPG
It's Justine's birthday today and off we (Justine, Barry, Tara. Hugh and me) went to the Lligwy river. Surf-lines kindly lend me a Dagger river kayak. I paddled once before on the Lligwy. But now water levels are very high. Because of the heavy rains over the last days other potential rivers are out of the question. Hugh is the most experienced river paddler and I listen carefully to his advice. Today I learned to 'look ahead'. We played by getting into as much eddies and stoppers as possible. But every time I missed one, and drifted backwards down the river, I thought "What's behind me" when I scraped overhanging branches...
200911051322380703_AS.JPG

No comments: