Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Jersey Cliff Jumping

200805261205273839_AS.JPG
Monday was an interesting symposium day. I joined the half-day trip with Len and JR from L'Etacq. There was an unplanned rescue and some towing involved. Thus again for me a rescue day. The unexpected 'escape-route' ended at the beautiful Plemont cove, in the sun with a delicious ice-cream.
200805261615043925_AS.JPG
The afternoon was spent with Kevin paddling into caves and that special Jersey treat: cliff jumping. Two years ago I only dared to do a low jump into the Octopus pool. This year I dared to jump off the Rhino, the big one, at today's tide, a 10 meter high jump. The 'air-time' took longer than I thought it would; lots of adrenaline... I did not jump as elegantly as JR and Kevin can. The picture is of JR jumping off Rhino. Tuesday we went to the Écréhous, a groups of islands and rocks, six miles to the north-east of Jersey in good weather and smooth seas.

3 comments:

derrick said...

looks like fun! (and a bit crazy. .)

Axel said...

Crazy, or foolish, the Fool, a Jester... A recurring thing in my life, with a tear and a smile ;-)) Maybe I should order my next dry-suit diamonded green, red, yellow, blue.

Douglas Wilcox said...

Greetings Axel, three years ago Kevin persuaded me to jump off the Rhino at a 10m drop to the pool. Rather it was not actually Kevin himself,three of his girl pupils (about 15y) jumped, therefore I had very little choice. As you say the air time was considerable...

:o)