Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Gearing Up

I have gathered a lot of outdoor and sea kayaking equipment over the years. On numerous occasions last year I told myself 'must repair this and this and this...' Never made the time for it last year, though. There always comes a time when pieces of gear wears beyond repair. Last three days I spent checking all my gear and making necessary repairs. And some inevitable difficult decision of throwing favourite pieces away, and making a 'to buy new list'. My heavily patched-up classic FosterROWE PFD went out. It was spending it's days unused in storage. It would not be 'good practice' showing up as a kayak instructor with a UV degraded, ripped-up PFD spilling some of it's foam core... The ground sheet of my old tent (fly sheet lost to UV deterioration and bad zippers) made it into a nice gear bag; to be used while shuffling gear from/to my kayak to/from camp. While busy at the sowing machine, more bags got produced, to the point of making a small stuff sack to hold the gear bag that will hold more gear bags... Do I like recursion?
200703070445L
I am ready for new seasons of paddling...

No comments: