Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Skerries Questionmarks

The tide was perfect for a paddle out to the Skerries at max ebb. Yvonne planned the trip yesterday but we were aware and both questioning if the weather (wind) would suit the plan. With the last few days of strong westerly and northwesterly winds, yesterday force 6 to 8, 'on paper' this trip today would be questionable to say the least.

We went to Cemlyn to look at the sea and discuss the options. The sea was very white and rough at the obvious locations of the various tidal races out there and around the Skerries. Furloughs race was unplayable in a way that we considered it unsafe. There looked to be 'pathways' towards the Skerries that would be 'possible', but why the risk? The wind was still a solid force 5/6 against max ebb. Questions...

Lots of alternative plans came to mind. In the end we decided to paddle against the flow towards Cameas Bay and have lunch there. After lunch the tide would have eased a bit and would probably change some perspective? Paddling back towards Cemlyn the wind had dropped to 4 and the sea had quietened down to a point where I asked Yvonne on the spot to take us to the Skerries.

At dead slack we arrived at the Skerries. A short break there and then surfing back to Cemlyn Bay via West Mouse.

Decisions: when question marks become exclamation marks.


male extra reviews said...

Obviously I like your web site

Buy Genf said...

Obviously I like your web site