Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Monday, February 06, 2017

Breaking Waves

Look! Breaking waves ahead where the birds are circling! David calls out from his vantage point sitting high on the rear deck. Moments later we recognize the dorsal fins of a group of dolphins. The word Dolphins is called out frequently and more and more gather on the deck to view the spectacle of a group of hourglass dolphins riding the bow wave and following astern. The water is very clear to see the typical stripes on their bodies.

I was pleased that today I was early for my watch. For the last few day I 'enjoyed' a 'comatose' sleep whenever I lied down. Very possibly the side effect of taking the Stugeron motion sickness tablets. Not a moment I felt any 'queesyness' that I experienced a few times before in the past. The captain recommends to keep taking the pills every 12 hours, just in case.

The ocean turns from almost oily flat overnight to a bigger swell making movement below deck difficult again. I have bumped my head numerous times now creating a sore spot in one place, and 'bang' again, ouch!

After my shift I helped Justine prepare a potato based oven roast. Cutting the veggies and cleaning the dishes I realize I am quite lucky with seasickness this time. I actually enjoy doing this, despite the repeated head bumps and #39;bracing for support'.

Justine reckons another twenty minutes to go in the oven. Another nice meal breaking the surface.

No comments: