Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Long Island Sounds

I am in Connecticut (first time) for the Autumn Gales Symposium out of the pittoresque 'sleeping' village of Stonington. Acclimatizing today litterally is getting used to the colder weather, just about the same temperatures as normal in the Netherlands this time of year.

I used the afternoon to paddle out to the Latimer Light; two miles out. During the crossing in force 3-4 winds I became aware of some vulnerability for I was not carrying a spare paddle on this solo trip. So I decided not to continue to Fishers Island, another mile out.

Comparing the map with my environment I was helped with the sounds I heared. The Horn off the Middle Ground breakwater and the Bell at the Latimer Light; Long Island sounds.


No comments: