Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Eyes of a Tiger

My glasses were in desperate need of replacement having lasted unchanged for more than 15 (!) years. They have been all over the world and seen lots of salt water. The frame is missing non-essential parts for at least 5 years. I never understood when paddling partners could not read my weather/tide crib cards, now I know. I am getting old... My sight for distance did not change over those years, but for relaxed reading (books) I would need reading glasses, for my computer 'computer-glasses'? I already inquired about a new pair of glasses. But I left the eyeglasses shop utterly confused of needing three pairs of custom corrective glasses for best results. Not a nice spectacle.

Upon advice of my girlfriend Saskia, I inquired about eye-laser treatment. As a risk averse person I initially had a huge reluctance with accepting this option. Although the risks are considered to be small, these are my only two eyes... After two independent check-ups and three months of contemplating I finally went for it.

Yesterday afternoon I had my eyes laser treated. For the interested: it was Lasek Wavefront. This is the least 'invasive' treatment, but it is offset with the most healing pain that can last a week. I had prepared for excruciating pain when the localized anesthetics would wear off. Pleasantly surprised I am typing this the morning after without pain. Sight is still blurry, but my pair of glasses are useless now... Final, stable, results can only be determined after 6 months and after one year.

Recovering for the next 4-6 weeks I will be paddling in Baja in February, but from now on only with non-descript sunglasses. I might still need cheap reading glasses at some point.

1 comment:

Justine Curgenven said...

wow. I hope it works well for you Axel! It will be strange to see you without glasses as I have got used to those glasses for the last 15 years! Have fun in Baja x