Travels with Paddles

a sea kayaking journal

Axel Schoevers (Photo: A. de Krook) Name:
Axel Schoevers
Location:
Rijswijk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Monday, October 08, 2012

Training Session

This evening I joined a training session on the Menai Straits with John Willacy (Taran), Justine (Rapier), Aled (Pace18) and Pascalle (Taran-S). They regularly do these training racing sessions. I could borrow John's Taran and quickly found out that this is a very fast kayak; surprise?. But also that the others are faster than me; surprise? The Taran glides through the water where all the paddle power (blade pressue) transfers to speed. With my normal paddling cadence it is already fast 'effortless'.

For developing my forward paddling skills up to racing I definitively would benefit from more training, and/or a heart-rate monitor like the others are using, to better build-up a training session. Justine has one of those and the results of our Skerries trip can be found here.

Now I am in a big dilemma. How would a very traditional sea kayaker like me justify buying a Taran? A heart-rate monitor? Let me think about it... This training session felt very good indeed.

2 comments:

Justine Curgenven said...

Go on Axel.... you know you want to!!
And you could justify it by knowing that this 'cross training' will improve your 'traditional' kayaking.... if you really 'need' to justify it! :-)

Bo said...

Need an excuse? Hows this: Saturday, 31st Aug 2013, sea kayak. Lauwersoog to Schiermonnikoog marina, run to the nearest shop, buy something island specific, bring the receipt. Return to Lauwersoog. Check in at 'Visser Vis' fishmongerists (respect the queue :). First arrival wins. Some 10 months to train with your new goodies!
Bring it on!